Sunday, January 8, 2012

My Name

My name is Daniel Butler II, this name was given to me by my father and mother. Most people think that if a person is named after someone, that they are supposed to live a similar life as that person. I on the other hand have no interest in becoming my father by any means. A name is something given to an Individual, to become whoever they want to be in life based off their own decisions and experiences. My name means great things to me as far as it goes. My name is biblical and means God is is my judge which is a very important thing to me because I want to live my life in the eyes of God. I think a name is something that we  give ourselves as well. Paul Bloom's article on the person plural would suggest that we create our name and experiences through a multi-personality. We have more than one person within us and these many dimensions within ourselves are displayed at any given situation. With this, a name for me would be given by others and what I bring out of others perceptions of me. Take for instance a "nickname", which is given to you by friends and family or people in general who have had some experience with you or through you. You as a person and people in general would label (name) you for a self you have portrayed or displayed at  any given time in a situation. A name, a person plural and windows and mirrors all play a role in creating a self.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like your name carries an important connection to your family and to your faith. Are you named after your father? It's interesting how we are given our name by others, but it is up to us to give that name its reputation with our friends and associates in our own lifetime. Do you have a nickname? I enjoyed the other tidbits about your name that you shared in comments on others' posts.

    ReplyDelete