Sunday, January 22, 2012

Bless Me, Ultima

I found this book to have lots of hidden messages and it dealt with major issues in the lives of many people that are significant in maturing as a person. The way in which Anaya has portrayed the three brothers in Antonio's life, suffering from post-traumatic stress from the war, being irresponsible, ultimately gave Antonio a sense of individualism. He learned how to be on his own, without guidance from his family. The family theme that Anaya has given us is a major in the plot of the story. The families fighting over what Antonio should do with his own life is significant. I also love the way that the author/narrator has combined religion and magic to make this story much more fun and intriguing. These two elements are on the opposite ends of the religion spectrum and for them to be immersed in one another was very fascinating and significant in many areas.
I am also very happy with the some of the other issues that Antonio faces in this book. I could easily relate them to my own experiences through my life right now. I too have struggled with knowing who I am, what I want to be, my beliefs about religions and trying new things. Many people are going through the same things, I believe it's just apart of growing up and trying to become a better person. For Antonio, he saw his moments of tragedy and these experiences had given him both a loss of faith in God, but a greater faith all at the same time. I think he didn't realize it, but after seeing the guy killed in the street, he became more faithful because he started questioning God, and in order to do that, you must have some sort of faith that you will get answers. Overall, I think the book has given me a sense of stronger faith in knowing that whether its fiction of reality, many people suffer from the same issues and the ways that they deal with them gives you a sense of what growing up is about. That's what I took from the novel.

6 comments:

  1. DB, first let me say (from what you posted on my blog), I applaud you in stopping yourself to listen to the Lord's call. I've been in discernment for nearly two years now, and its been a wonderful journey. I wish you a happy one, as well.

    I think you are correct when you state that watching people die makes us question our faith. Thankfully, I haven't had the heart ache of experiencing someone close to me pass away. However, I have had numerous parishioners I've been close to pass away in the last few months: some of these were members of St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, and others were home-bound individuals I brought the Eucharist to, and knowing every week I could not see another member of the parish troubles me. But I know that the Devil does not have victory over us or our departed family members. I am reminded of that verse from Scripture, "O Death, where is thy victory? O Death, where is thy sting? ... But thanks be to God, who hath given us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." (I Corinthians 15:55, 57) Death shouldn't make us doubt God but believe in him even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DB, I like how you described multiple areas where you connected with the book. I agree that Antonio’s future seems strongly tied to his family life. Do you think that pressure from his family will ultimately determine his future or will he be able to make his own choices through the teachings he has received from Ultima?
    I thought it was really observant that you mentioned that Antonio’s brothers are suffering from PTSD. I think this is most obvious in Andrew’s case. He seems to be quite depressed and uses Rosie’s house to escape from reality. I wasn’t sure why he stayed at home while his other two brothers wanted to move on by getting away. It reminds me of how we all deal with painful experiences differently and the way they can negatively influence not only our attitudes and emotions, but also our actions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn’t mention this in my post but Antonio saw many tragedies. These tragedies can make someone question about faith and life. Surely, Antonio did this and this questioning showed some signs of growing up. I like how you made that connection. Also, I am one who is questioning his own faith. I don’t question God’s existence but I question the Catholic tradition. Coming to Goshen has shown me different aspects of the Christian faith. Which denomination is the right one? I struggle with it till today and I saw this connection with Antonio. One last thing, I thought it was interesting that there was a mix of magic and religion. I agree that these two are opposite from each other. It made me question the characters and the importance of Ultima.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you can relate to some of the life struggles. I feel like many people struggle with some of these issues, figuring out who we are and what we want to do with our lives, especially at this time in our lives. I definitely know that I found a mirror in that respect. I am a senior in college and I don't know what I want to do next year.
    I also saw points where he was questioning his faith. This happened throughout the book as he was trying to figure out who he was. I can't imagine seeing someone die at such a young age. It really would make me question a lot. However, I also agree that questioning your faith makes you learn a lot more about your faith. It helps you develop your own beliefs rather than only believing things you have heard, not things you really know to be true. I feel like so many of my beliefs were things that I heard growing up but were strengthened as I questioned them and discussed them at college. I think that being a christian is a stronger personal experience when you have developed beliefs rather than just being told what to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that this novel does a great job of allowing the reader to put themselves in Antonio's shoes, even if he lives in a different culture than the reader. And yes, the only way that faith becomes real is by questioning what we have always assumed to be true! Anaya does a great job of portraying this through the character of Antonio in this book, as he struggles to find his own identity.

    The conflicting characteristics of magical realism versus the harsh realities the three brothers faced during the war was also an interesting observation. War is anything but magical, and yet Anaya brings up a concrete reality and ties it into a story that contains evil brujas. Very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your personal struggles that resonate with Antonio's. The family elements in this story, and the ways that Antonio's parents' expectations shape his identity, seem so universal that the reader can readily connect with his struggles. I hope you find a good mentor, as Antonio did, to help you as you discern your calling and your next steps. It's great when a novel can give you the reassuring feeling that you are not the only person struggling with a big life issue!

    ReplyDelete