Friday, April 13, 2012

BWLOW: Love, Love, Love!

Oscar Wao was a great character that Diaz places as the protagonist for this Novel. We see in most of the other novels how Latino Literature places Identity as a major theme. To me, Oscar is not "searching" for an Identity, but rather, trying to fit in with the Latino machismo identity itself. Yunior is pressuring Oscar to be more like him, courting numerous women throughout the novel. Oscar is struggling because, although he is handsome and liked by many girls, he is also a bigger guy and on top of that a nerd. He likes science fiction, comic books, ect. This bothers Oscar because he is desperately in search of true love. Someone he can spend the rest of his life with, just one girl in particular.

In the end of the novel, he finds just that within Ybon. After going through great lengths to get with her, he eventually has sex with her. I think this was the moment that solidified Oscar as himself, someone finally loved him for him!

I find mirrors in the story of Oscar, that relate to my own culture. Being African American, we are known for being aggressive when it comes to courting women. We are known as smooth talkers, great lovers and so on, so there is a standard or identity we must uphold in order to consider ourselves to be "BLACK".  Like Oscar, I struggled with this because I never saw the opportunities to court girls, and if I did, I always failed. In my first two years of junior college, I placed it upon myself to get out of this shy, non-aggressive, African American male (peer pressure was also a factor) and wanted to experience what every other guy in my culture had. This brings me to my point that, like Latino culture, Black Culture definitely relates, and it is because of this, that the novel has really opened my eyes to that notion.

4 comments:

  1. I also agree that Oscar was trying to fit in with the machismo identity. Why is it that the nerd parts of a person aren't socially acceptable to play into their identity? I think we even see this is our culture. I even was thinking about this the day we had the discussion on the difference between pop culture and nerd culture. Why is nerd culture frowned upon? Why are nerds classified as weird?

    I like how you identify the mirrors you see. I find it so interesting how the machismo seems to carry across cultures. Where did it come from? And, why does it seem that women have less of an option and more of an expectation of compliance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oscar did try his best to fit in with the Machismo identity in his own way. He still was himself when he was trying to court women. He never put on a fake side to him and the women rejected him for that. It is sad to see that not all people can be able to be in a relationship beyond friendship, especially if the person really wants it bad. We all have felt lonely at some point in our lives and it isn't a good feeling. I can only imagine how Oscar feels.

    Peer pressure does play a role in being able to go to a woman and ask her out. I am also a shy guy and my friends always clowned on me when I would be too afraid not to go up to a lady and ask for her number. My high school career was filled with plenty of moments like this. Eventually the peer pressure worked and I am not longer as shy as I was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder.. In African American culture, is being a nerd as bad a thing as it was in the novel? It's intriguing that you compared your cultural norms with that of Oscar. I see that there are similarities for sure. DO you think there are similarities in mainstream American culture? I think young people in our culture are exposed to the sexualized part at an early age, and there are 'role models' that everyone looks up to. Movies are a great example, and they also reinforce the typical stereotype that women are weak and need a strong, able man to support and protect them. I wonder if this influences the way Latino writers in America write their stories?

    ReplyDelete
  4. DB, I appreciate your writing about how this book served as a mirror for you. In fact, I was struck in reading the blogs on BWLOW, how often this book held up a mirror of their culture to men in the class. For me, I'll have to admit, the book was more of a window. This book pushes us into some bold places, but it also seems that by reflecting your reality it helps you identify and talk about some of the issues. Thanks so much for making these connections and sharing your response.

    ReplyDelete