Saturday, February 25, 2012

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue: Poetry

Poet David Dominguez was born and raised in Fresno, California  in 1971. He attended CSU Fresno before transferring to UC Irvine, where he graduated with a BA in Comparative Literature in 1995. He then went on to attend the University of Arizona where he obtained his MFA in Creative Writing in 1997.

Dominguez is the author of two poetry collections, Work Done Right, published in 2003 by University Arizona Press, and his more recently published, The Ghost of Cesar Chavez, published in 2010 by C& R press. His works has also been anthologized in numerous books and has appeared in journals such as, The Bloomsbury Review, Crab Orchard Review, Poet Lore, and The Southern Review. His anthologized works include, Bear Flag Republic: Prose Poems and Poetics from California, Camino del Sol: Fifteen Years of Latina/o Writing, Breathe: 101 Cotemporary Odes, The Wind Shifts: New Latino Poetry, and many more.

A the age of 19, after reading "The Red Wheel Barrel" by William Carlos Williams for a class, Dominguez knew he wanted to become a poet. He says, " The work had amazing imagery", and that is one of Dominguez's strongest characteristics in his writing. Dominguez is known for his imagery, considered a Free Verse writer and writes from a Latino perspective. A resident of California's Central Valley, Dominguez writes poetry that reflects life in the area, often focusing on work and family history. In his collection, The Ghost of Cesar Chavez, Rigoberto Gonzalez, a poetry column writer for the El Paso Times in Texas and revered poet, elaborated on the importance of imagery/place, noting that the Central Valley is "a place where generations of Mexican families have lived, worked and witnessed periods of both economic hardship and prosperity... Dominguez pays homage to a different fruit of his labor: the hard-won comforts of domesticity and the impulse to reflect on the legacy of sacrifice."

In reading The Wind Shifts, I came across one poem that placed a sense of all the characteristics highlighted in David's work. I saw the Imagery, the struggles, the pain, the unfairness of life toward Latino groups. His poem "Fingers" shows just that. He starts out, " Because of the frozen meat and a silver ring, my index finger swelled and dimmed... the men held my wrist and used a saw... Nothing passed time like work, unconscious work when the bones pounded and the muscles stretched... Julio jumped on a stool and lowered half his body in the machine, when his thigh brushed the go button, the blade moved an inch and sliced off his index finger... He pushed away those who tried to help, he didn't cry out, how he asked for my smock and held his hand to his chest.... Most of all, I thought about myself: would I have screamed, could I have taken the pain, walked outside to the employee payphone, and with  good hand still held steady, dialed 9-1-1..." This poem struck me because of the way he describes the situation, a finger being cut off, refusing help, the working conditions, walking OUTSIDE to use the PAYPHONE, shows the life of Latinos to me.

Many of the other poems in this book, reflect David's life after marriage and trying to build his home. He uses a lot of imagery and the way he talks about the workers is a great indicator that they are Latino as well. In his poem "ROOF" he writes, " At lunch I go watch the Mexicanos who are putting the ceiling on my house. They don't like me the moment I park at the curb. Extension cords crisscross the slab. I nod at the fellow with the saw. He's watching my feet, nervous i'll trip and pull the diamond-cut teeth through skin, veins and bones... They have names for me, pocho, gringo. The one with the nail gun nods but before I look away he punches three pennies into a board.... I can take a hint. Days ago, I saw a nest in the beams. Now it lies on the floor, a dove's refuge smashed under a boot... This is funny to me, because of the actions of the workers, but also because David is showing how frustrating it would be for people you are working for to watch you all the time, seeing your every move, waiting for you to do something wrong. These are issues I think David is trying to address in his works. He really has the back of the Latino community.

Currently,  David is a English Professor at Reedley College in California. His goal is to get as many students as possible into English 1A. He stresses the importance of earning a four-year degree to all of his students, especially the Latino students. Currently, only 11 percent of Latino students graduate with a BA, four percent with a MA, and only one percent with a PhD-these statistics that he would like to see improved. Dominguez is the co-founder and poetry editor of The Packinghouse Review. I hope that everyone get a chance to read some of David's work, I find it to be really interesting and great work!

4 comments:

  1. I thought it was very interesting to read about the tensions David Dominguez has experienced both inside and outside the Latino community. The relationship strains brought about by the attainment of an education and material wealth by some Latinos but not others is an aspect of Latino culture that I haven't ever thought about.

    Dominguez's support of Latino students striving to attain a college degree is also very invigorating to read about. The percentages of minority students in masters and doctorate programs isn't very high, but with student support from people like David, hopefully the numbers will become higher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked learning about Dominguez's source of inspiration. It is amazing what can inspire someone. For some inspiration and figuring out who you want to be takes a long time, and for others all it takes is a moment. I remember after my mom read me the book Miss Rumphius, I wanted to be a writer and illustrator. I still have those dreams but they're changed and transformed throughout my life.

    Sometimes one's inspiration can become part of who they are. After reading the works of Latino and Latina poets I get a strong vibe of unique identity from each of them. Though they address some of the same issues, they each have the ability to shed new light on controversial topics. Each view is vital to the larger conversation. I definitely want to read more Latino/a poetry. There is a strength there that is truly incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed the images of Dominguez's poems right away when I began to read them. I wonder if what he describes actually happened to him, or if he is just writing off observations, overheard conversations, or the stories of friends. Great images can come from basically anywhere. I also noticed that many of Dominguez's poems have to deal with getting a new home. I imagine these poems are almost like a loving glimpse back at his memories, showing himself and others what can happen when you work hard and put your back into it, figuratively or literally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very interesting to see the struggles that David deals with with other Latinos. The scene where he drives up to the curb and the Mexicanos on the roof do not like him, is a very real scene in my life. I can relate to this scene because I think that other Mexicanos or White people think this about me. Although I do not know exactly what they are thinking, I can sense that because I grew up speaking very little Spanish and I am not the "typical" Mexican, that I am what they call a "gringo." It bothers me but I won't let it affect me negatively. Instead, I use it to bring myself closer to my cultural identity.

    I like how David stresses the importance of education for Latinos. Education is a great opportunity for anybody to better their lives. I am a Latino and not only has education opened doors for me, but it has brought hope to many Latinos at home. Where I come from, not many Latino's break the chain and reach their potential. I want my community to reach their potential in bettering their lives.

    ReplyDelete